Poetry & Fiction Submissions are now closed.
Nighthawk Literature publishes Issues that celebrate the work of writers in all stages of their careers! We strive to publish the best poetry and fiction and can’t wait to make your writing visible.
We especially prioritize publishing underrepresented and historically marginalized voices. We’re here to uplift and share your writing; we’re here so that you can take up the space you deserve in the literary world. We urge and welcome Black, Indigenous, Asian, Arab, writers of color, trans writers, queer writers, disabled writers and all other intersecting identities to submit to our magazine!
Send us your best work for we are highly selective.
How to Submit:
Please email all submissions to email@example.com, along with a short author’s bio written in the third person. Be sure to include the genre submission followed by your name in the subject line (i.e “Poetry by Ryan French”). Send all submissions in one email, even if submitting to more than one genre. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your pieces are selected by another magazine! We want to celebrate with you!
Please note that we will immediately reject submissions that we find discriminatory. We also discourage the unnecessary use of slurs and violent language. Visit our About Page to learn more about our values.
Who can Submit?
At this time, we are only accepting submissions from writers that are 18 years old or older. We highly encourage emerging writers and university students to submit!
Our submissions are open internationally; anyone writing in English can submit! We do accept submissions in other languages, however, please be sure to submit an English translation to accompany them.
- Please submit no more than five poems at a time (up to 10 pages).
- We don’t have a maximum line length, though please respect our page limit. Please avoid sending us a 10 page poem.
- Please submit all poems in one document. We accept PDF and Word docs.
- Each poem should start on a new page.
- Poems should be written in a legible typeface (e.g. Times New Roman, EB Garamond, Ariel) type. 12 point.
- Micro-Fiction (500 words or less): Please submit no more than three micro-fiction stories
- Flash Fiction (1000 to 1,500 words): Please submit no more than two flash fiction stories
- Short Stories (2,000 to 3,000 words): Please submit no more than one short story.
- You may only submit to one fiction category at a time. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting to another category.
- Submit all stories in one document. We accept PDF and Word docs.
- All stories should be written in a legible typeface (e.g. Times New Roman, EB Garamond, Ariel) type. 12 point.
- Be sure to include a word count along with your submission.
- Please do not submit fan-fiction, academic essays, or personal essays.
We are looking for art for our website! All art is welcome! If you are stuck, please visit our Pinterest Board to get an idea of what we are looking for. We love gothic art, and we love cats!
- You may submit up to three pieces.
- Please indicate the title of each piece.
- Please submit your art as a JPEG or PDF.
- You will be credited for any art we choose to publish on our website! You can also choose to submit your art anonymously, just let us know!